Do you want to read this site in other languages?

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What shall we do when we are struck by the fear of man?





The Bible says, "The fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe (Prov 29:25)."

Dear sisters, today, I’d like to ask you how you have overcome the fear of man. What do you do when you are struck by the fear of man? Do you have any particular Bible verse or devotional book which would help you to overcome this issue? Do you know any prayers which are uplifting?

Why do I ask these questions? Because sometimes, the fear of man bothers me. And I feel like I am a trembling hamster. I long for acceptance and dread rejection. Although I know that the way we have chosen is not a popular way but still I am craving for peoples’ recognition and acceptance from time to time. A part of my self has not been crucified yet and it is dreadfully afraid of the place of Golgotha.

O Lord, I will confess my weakness. Often it is a small thing that makes me downcast and sad. I propose to act bravely, but when even a small temptation comes I find myself in great straits. When I think myself somewhat safe and when I am not expecting it, I frequently find myself almost overcome by a slight wind. Look, therefore, Lord, at my lowliness and frailty which You know so well. Have mercy on me and snatch me out of the mire that I may not be caught in it and may not remain forever utterly despondent. (Imitation of Christ, Part 3, chapter 20)


Oh, how I want to live in strength! How I want to sit at the feet of Jesus and be faithful to Him in good times and in bad times. I want to be hidden with Christ in God (Col 3:3).

As I was composing this post, I remember the spiritual poem of Ms. Margaret E. Barber, a British missionary to China who influenced Watchman Nee. It is a very deep poem which reflects her profound faith.

Buried

Buried? Yes, but it is seed
From which continents may feed;
Millions yet may bless the day
When that seed was laid away.

Buried! Hidden! Out of sight!

Dwelling in the deepest night;
Losing, underneath the sod,
Everything, except its God.

Buried, unremembered, lost
So thinks man: but all the cost
God has counted to display
Life abundant one glad day

Are thou buried?

God’s pure seed
Doth thy heart in silence bleed?

Change thy sighing into song.
Thus alone can harvests come

Dear sisters, please share with me freely and give me your spiritual tips! Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. My friend Kinuko,
    Here are some words from the Bible which I would like to share with you, that are a help to me:

    "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." Matthew 10:37-40

    As I read and hear about believers who are being persecuted and martyred for their faith, I think that my little steps of obedience are very small indeed. After all, I have not yet been asked to give up my family for God, or even my LIFE. When I ponder these things, I realize that I CAN, with God's help, overcome my fear of man in order to obey God in what He is asking ME to do for Him now.

    You are not alone in your insecurities! I too, sometimes long for acceptance! I wish I could be surrounded with other people who believe the same way as I do about family planning, modest dressing, headcovering, etc. But then I think of this: little trees grow deeper when the wind blows stronger. When I am forced to confront the tensions and frustrations of life, I cling closer to God, and grow deeper into His word, as I grow upwards into the stature of Christ. Trials cause us to develop in character. So, instead of running from our problems (like I often feel like doing), we must face them, and see what it is we are supposed to learn from them.

    I greatly enjoyed, and was encouraged by this post, as well as the other most recent articles you've written! Thank you for you honesty in sharing your feelings with us!
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jessica,
      Your messages brought me tears. I am so grateful that I have such a kind, thoughtful, spirit-filled sister in Christ. I cherished every single word which you wrote to me and I intend to write them down on my journal.

      “But then I think of this’ little trees grow deeper when the wind blows stronger. When I am forced to confront the tensions and frustrations of life, I cling closer to God, and grow deeper into His word, as I grow upwards into the stature of Christ. Trials cause us to develop in character. So instead of running from our problems (like I often feel like doing), we must face them, and see what it is we are supposed to learn from them.”

      Very profound words, Jessica. Little trees grow deeper when the wind blows stronger. Yes, I am one of these little trees. But as you said, I can cling closer to God. I want to run into His arms. He is our Security and our Shelter.

      Thank you for nominating my humble blog. I felt so honored and loved by the introductory words about my site on your blog. I also went to Sister Tessa’s blog as you suggested to us. She is a wonderful sister and very honest maiden of Christ. May God bless your day!

      Delete
  2. Kinuko,
    I just nominated you for the "Very Inspiring Blogger Award." Go to my site to learn more!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes when I feel down and confused or feel lonely, I play my electric piano. I play hymns until I recover to pray by my words to confess what I feel and ask His sollution, ask Him how to accept it.

    Dear Ms.Kinuko, anything is happening to you?
    I share you a littele message that once one Vietnamese cathoric 9yrs old girl gave me. 神様が私たちを愛している心の形は変わりません。私たちがどこにいても神様はいつもあなたのそばにいます。( The shape of God's heart loving us so truly never changes. Wherever we may be,God is always with you.)
    I do'nt know it was her own words or quotation from her prayer book,but it encouraged me so much at that time.

    When I worry about my daily life, I always remember proverb30.7-9.
    I wish may this be my prayer.
    It says Two things have I required of Thee,deny me them not before I die
    Remove far from me vanity and lies, give me neither poverty nor riches,
    feed me with food convinient for me.
    Lest I be full,and deny Thee, and say,Who is the Lord?
    or lest I be poor, and steal,and take the name of my God in vain.

    May God always keep you in His hand. Sanae.T



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sanae san, thank you so much for taking your time to write such a kind reply. I play the electronic piano, too (though not very well.) I will try to do the same if the fear of man bothers me again. The words of the Vietnamese girl was thoughtful as well. I am so blessed to have known you, Sanae san. Thank you so your spiritual tips. Kinuko

      Delete
  4. Dear Ms. Kinuko,

    When I am afraid, I read Jeremiah 29:11 11 'For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' Also I love Psalms 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" Philippians 4:13 ' I can do all this through him who gives me strength.' Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding--verse from Proverbs chapter 3, verse 5. This are the ones I had memorized.
    God Bless you and your family,
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Irina! Thank you for your kind and thoughtful messages. I wrote down the four Bible verses which you kindly gave me, and I also intend to memorize these verses.

      I was afraid to make my beliefs and stances in public like this because I have many precious brothers and sisters back home who don’t share the same convictions with me concerning the issues which I am dealing with on this blog. But God strongly guided me to testify these issues, so I obeyed it (though with trembling.)

      How many dear brothers and sisters are going to reject me from now on? Can I endure? No, I cannot! My flesh is craving for the precious ties which I have cherished so far. Thanks God, Proverb 3:5 which you wrote to me, gave me the timely answer. [Trust in the LORD with all your heart. And lean not on your own understanding.]

      What the LORD wants me now is not to calculate the possible outcomes and consequences but to keep trusting Him, not partially but wholly and with all my heart. Thank you so much for your spiritual tip, Irina. Kinuko

      Delete