Do you want to read this site in other languages?

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Kegan, a 16-year-old maiden for Christ―"Amy Carmichael" in the 21st century


Sister Kegan is, to me, "Amy Carmichael" in the 21st century. She is a 16-year-old American sister who has a burning passion for Christ. Last week, I asked her, "How do you want to spend your life on this earth? What are you seeking in your life?" And she told me as follows;

The way I see it (and the way I believe the Bible teaches it) is that a life not lived for Christ is a wasted life. Paul said in Philippians 1:21, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (KJV) The only thing that matters in life is Christ and living like He lived. Reaching souls is our primary goal. If we're not doing that, then we've wasted the one, precious life we've been given by God. And, from what Jesus taught in His parables, God doesn't think too kindly of lazy labourers.  
Our job is to do what Christ did: live for people and perhaps die for people. We are called to take up our cross and follow Him (Matthew 16:24). Our identity should not be found in the clothes we wear, the job we work, the color of our skin, etc. We're christians first. Who we are should be found in Christ. The first thing that people should think of when they think of us is "Jesus". His light should be shining through us. We're His ambassadors. 
My vision for my life is to be a missionary. I don't know where or how or when yet. But God knows. I am seeking only to do His will.,,, wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, I will be a missionary. That's what we're all called to be.,,What do I seek? I seek a life that is pleasing to the Lord. If I can hear Him say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant," I will be satisfied. To know Him is precious and I don't want any to leave this world without that relationship and faith!
Actually, the above testimony of hers has touched the hearts of many Japanese believers already! One lady told me she read it out in front of her family. Another lady in Osaka is going to talk about Kegan and her testimony in Sunday school. Her pure faith spoke directly to their hearts and stirred up their spirits.

Her passion for souls reminds me of the prayer of Amy Carmichael (1867-1951), a missionary to Japan and India.

O for a passionate passion for souls,
O for a pity that yearns!
O for the love that loves unto death,
O for the fire that burns!
O for the pure prayer-power that prevails,
That pours itself out for the lost!
Victorious prayer in the Conqueror's Name,
O for a PENTECOST!
 
         -Amy Wilson Carmichael


Now, I am going to re-blog her recent post entitled; "Doing more". If you were like me, you would be surprised and impressed that this post was written by a 16-year-old maiden. And I am sure that her message would speak directly to your heart. 

                                                Doing More

Having confidence in thy obedience I wrote unto thee, knowing that thou wilt also do more than I say. (Philemon 1:21, KJV)

Today, I read through Paul’s letter to Philemon. It is only one chapter long, so if you are not familiar with it, perhaps you might could read it now. I was trying to really meditate on the things Paul said to Philemon. Many of the concepts can easily be applied to our own lives. Near the very end of the book is Philemon 1:21 (as listed above). 

Paul has been giving some instruction to Philemon about his newly-converted runaway servant named Onesimus. As Paul comes to the end of his letter, he says that he has confidence that Philemon will do more than Paul told him to do. I started thinking about that…

The people that have made the most impact in my life have been those that went above and beyond what was expected of them. Those people have served as my role models and mentors. Mind you, there have only been a few. Sure, many people do nice, unexpected deeds for me, which are greeted with a grateful heart. 

But few have done MORE than expected, more than requested. Few have gone above and beyond, tirelessly trying to do all they could to please and serve me. Now, I am certainly not worthy of this! So, what makes them pursue it? 

My conclusion: love. Their love and passion for Christ overflows into a love and passion for me. Their seeking to please the Lord fully overflows into their seeking to please me fully. Their mindset of servitude to God overflows into a mindset of servitude to me. Notice what Paul says to Philemon in the beginning of the letter:

I thank my God, making mention of thee always in my prayers, Hearing of thy love and faith, which thou hast toward the Lord Jesus, and toward all saints; That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother. (Philemon 1:4-7, KJV)

Philemon loved the Lord. So, he loved people. Because of all this love, he sought to serve others to the best of his ability.

However, I think far too often we are looking more at the bare minimum we can do. We ask, “What can I get away with?” instead of “What’s the best I can do?” Most are content with their salvation and do not care to do much more than just what they can get away with and be saved. Let us not be like this. I confess that I often find myself thinking, “What can I do and it be enough to please God?” 

I often only do what is necessary when serving others, and even then it hurts. Woe to a selfish, lazy Church! Let us not be this way any longer! I know some who have already begun to change, and are changing those around them because of it. Let us all respond to our Lord’s call to do more!
“I know you will do more than I say.” 

Imagine Paul saying that to you. No, imagine Christ saying that to you. Imagine Christ sending something your way and saying, “I know her obedience, that she will do MORE than what is required of her.” All with a smile on His face. I would certainly want my Lord and Master to say that of me. But, to receive such an honour, we must labour. 

We must tirelessly, without hope of recognition here, bend and serve and bow, doing much more than is required of us, even when it hurts.

But I think I could bear it knowing how my Lord bent and served and bowed, doing far more than what was expexted of Him, and also knowing that I would be pleasing Him with doing the same. And let’s not forget the reward we will receive in heaven for such.

Now, let us bond together. Let us love unconditionally. Let us serve one another. Let us be a pleasing, obedient bride for Christ. Let’s do MORE than what is expected of us. :)

That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. (Philemon 1:6, KJV)

Let us all visit her brand-new blog and say hello to her! She is a headcovering sister as well.

3 comments:

  1. What she said' To know Him is precious and I do'nt want any to leave this world without that relationship and faith.' moved me so much. Yes, that's right. What most important thing we have to do in our lives is to know God.For me it is very happy to know her. As Japanese christian I also appriciate her prayer for Japan.
    May God always keep her in His hand and lead her. Love from Japan Sanae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sanae, thank you so much for your comment! You are right, the most important thing we have to do in our lives is to know God. The presence of our precious young maidens like Kegan gives me such a big hope. In every generation, I have seen that God has rised up His vessels in order to accomplish His will.

    For example, I have seen that God used the fiery passion and faith of John & Charles Wesley,the young brothers, for the spiritual transformation of many souls. Their faith turned the 18th century England upside down!

    Charles Wesley sang;
    "O that in me the sacred fire
    Might now begin to glow,
    Burn up the dross of base desire,
    And make the mountains flow!"

    Sanae, I admire you because you are a caring person. You have been tenderly caring for sisters including me and Kegan. We do appreciate your constant encouragement and sincere prayers. Thank you so much. Kinuko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sanae, thank you so much for your comment! You are right, the most important thing we have to do in our lives is to know God. The presence of our precious young maidens like Kegan gives me such a big hope. In every generation, I have seen that God has rised up His vessels in order to accomplish His will.

    For example, I have seen that God used the fiery passion and faith of John & Charles Wesley,the young brothers, for the spiritual transformation of many souls. Their faith turned the 18th century England upside down!

    Charles Wesley sang;
    "O that in me the sacred fire
    Might now begin to glow,
    Burn up the dross of base desire,
    And make the mountains flow!"

    Sanae, I admire you because you are a caring person. You have been tenderly caring for sisters including me and Kegan. We do appreciate your constant encouragement and sincere prayers. Thank you so much. Kinuko

    ReplyDelete