Do you want to read this site in other languages?

Friday, August 14, 2015

For those who are under pain: Encouraging christian poem by Frances Ridley Havergal

 

I dedicate this poem to sister Ruthie and her dear husband who is under physical trials.
 
[Written in severe pain, Sunday afternoon, October 8th, 1876, at the Pension Wengen, Alps.]
 

I TAKE this pain, Lord Jesus,
From Thine own hand,
The strength to bear it bravely
Thou wilt command.
 
I am too weak for effort,
So let me rest,
In hush of sweet submission,
On Thine own breast.
 
I take this pain, Lord Jesus,
As proof indeed.
That Thou art watching closely
My truest need:
 
That Thou, my Good Physician,
Art watching still;
That all Thine own good pleasure
Thou wilt fulfil.
 
I take this pain, Lord Jesus,
What Thou dost choose
The soul that really loves Thee
Will not refuse.
 
It is not for the first time
I trust to-day;
For Thee my heart has never
A trustless 'Nay!'
 
I take this pain, Lord Jesus,
But what beside?
'T is no unmingled portion
Thou dost provide.
 
In every hour of faintness,
My cup runs o'er
With faithfulness and mercy,
And love's sweet store.
 
I take this pain, Lord Jesus,
As Thine own gift,
And true though tremulous praises
I now uplift.
 
I am too weak to sing them,
But Thou dost hear
The whisper from the pillow,--
Thou art so near!
 
'T is Thy dear hand, O Saviour,
That presseth sore,
The hand that bears the nail-prints
For evermore.
 
And now beneath its shadow,
Hidden by Thee,
The pressure only tells me
Thou lovest me!

Frances Ridley Havergal, A Song In The Night
 

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Kinuko,
    I was gone for a week to a Christian camp with my daughter, so imagine my delight when checking in with your blog to have something dedicated to us. This is such a lovely poem! What suffering this woman must have endured. It drew her so close to the Saviour! This is an encouragement to us that we need to be accepting of what God brings into our lives. Brian and I were just reading from Romans 8 last night, and we had a good discussion on how we can bring glory to God in every situation we're facing. We are so touched that you continue to think of us and pray for us. If you don't mind, I would like to share this with some others we know. One person suffered a broken hip and is having a slow recovery. The other is fighting cancer.
    With much love, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ruthie, welcome back home! How was the camp? I hope you and your daughter had a blessed time there. Yes, of course, please feel free to share this poem with your suffering friends.

    I just admire your heart attitude and faith toward life realities. Even though I've not seen you face to face (yet), I can see your softness and tender, beautiful heart. Please send my best regards to brother Brian. In Christ, Kinuko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kinuko, Yes, we had a very good time at camp. This particular week that we attended was dedicated to learning how to ride horses and how to take care of them. My daughter loves horses and took advantage of a camp contest that our church offers. If you complete the entire contest (word searches, Bible reading, Bible memorization, writing to a missionary,etc.) you can get your whole way payed for by the church. She worked hard and completed everything. She was so happy! I went to serve in the dining room, and to be there for her if she needed me, as this was her first time away from home for a whole week. My time was very rewarding, but also tiring. They had chapel times twice a day, and they discussed the life of Moses. I was humbled because I went into these meetings thinking that I knew all there was to know about the life of Moses, but I came away so blessed! The speaker made comparisons between Moses' and Jesus' lives.I was so arrogant! It taught me that it doesn't matter how long you are a Christian, God continues to teach us. There is always something fresh and new to learn from God's Word.
    Brian is doing well. He has been very busy in his job the last couple of weeks. His health is also doing much better. He went to the doctor and had a good report. God continues to supply all our needs, even before we realize it sometimes. He is truly amazing! Many blessings to you, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It taught me that it doesn't matter how long you are a Christian, God continues to teach us. There is always something fresh and new to learn from God's Word."

    Dear Ruthie, this heart attitude is something I want to learn from you. I want to catch every single sign from Him through which He wants to teach me something.
    I like the way you describe your life event. It reflects your childlike simplicity and I just love it. Please say "Congratulations!" to your daughter. And I am so happy that she has been surrounded by loving Christian parents and other believers. This will be her rich spiritual heritage in the future.

    Please send my best regards to brother Brian, too. Have a blessed weekend, Ruthie. from Kinuko

    ReplyDelete