Do you want to read this site in other languages?

Friday, November 13, 2015

Not in vain




Not in vain, the tedious toil,
On an unresponsive soil,

Travail, tears in secret shed,
Over hopes that lay as dead.

All in vain, thy faint heart cries.
Not in vain, thy Lord replies:

Nothing is to good to be;
Then believe, believe to see.


Did thy labor turn to dust?
Suff’ring – did it eat like rust

Till the blade that once was keen,
As a blunted tool is seen?

Dust and rust thy life’s reward?
 
Slay the thought; believe thy Lord!
When thy soul is in distress,
Think upon His faithfulness.
 
 
-Amy Carmichael
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love this poem! I still have not forgotten it since you spoke with me concerning it. It is so beautiful...Amy Carmichael was a very talented and blessed woman of God...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Kay chan,
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Thanks to your help, I could translate this poem into Japanese while I was on the mission field! Whenever I think of her early life, it reminds me of you, Kay-chan! with much love, Kinuko

    ReplyDelete