Do you want to read this site in other languages?

Friday, December 11, 2015

Rediscovery of the depth and beauty of Psalmody (Part 3): pouring out our sorrow in front of Him



Toscana, Italy  source

 
The Bible-believing Christians should rejoice in the Lord always (Phil.4:4), for this is what He commands us. We also know well that one of the important fruits of the Spirit is joy (Gal.5:22).

What impressed me and comforted me, however, is that He also allows us to pour out our sorrow in front of Him as we read Psalm 88, for example.

 
Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps.
Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves.
 
Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me;
thou has made me an abomination unto them: I am shut up, and I cannot come forth.
 
Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: Lord, I have called daily upon thee,
I have stretched out my hands unto thee.
Psalm 88:6-9

 
Isn't it so comforting that He allows us to express our inner pains, lament and anguish? Isn't it such a consolation that He is willing to listen to our heart cry and embrace it? By singing, listening and meditating on Psalmody, He has brought such a deep healing effect on my soul.

So if you are in distress now, come with me and listen to Psalm 88 together. Upon meditating on the verses, you can freely express your inner cry to Him. He is so merciful and full of love. Come to Him and talk to Him.
 
 
 

Psalter Number 240.  Psalm 88
An Outpouring of Sorrow
 
1. Lord, the God of my salvation,
Day and night I cry to Thee;
Let my prayer now find acceptance,
In Thy mercy answer me.
 
Full of troubles and affliction,
Nigh to death my soul is brought
Helpless, like one cast forever
From Thy care and from Thy thought.
 
2. Thou hast brought me down to darkness,
'Neath Thy wrath I am oppressed;
All the billows of affliction
Overwhelm my soul distressed.
 
Thou hast made my friends despise me,
And companionless I go,
Bound, and helpless in my bondage,
Pining in my bitter woe.
 
3. Unto Thee with hands uplifted
Daily I direct my cry;
Hear, O Lord, my supplication,
Hear and save me ere I die.
 
Wilt Thou wait to show Thy wonders
And Thy mercy to the dead?
Let me live to tell Thy praises,
By Thy lovingkindness led.
 
4. Still, O Lord, renewed each morning
Unto Thee my prayer shall be;
Cast me not away forever,
Let me now Thy favor see.
 
All my life is spent in sorrow,
Grief and terror always nigh,
Waves of wrath have surged about me;
Show Thy mercy ere I die.
 
5. Friend and lover are departed,
Dark and lonely is my way;
Lord, be Thou my friend and helper,
Still to Thee, O Lord, I pray.
 
Lord, the God of my salvation,
Day and night I cry to Thee;
Let my prayer now find acceptance,
In Thy mercy answer me.
 
 

8 comments:

  1. So beautiful prayer from psalm expressed in music.For the first time I heard this song.

    Yesterday I had to know harsh reality that bible believing christians are not always well-received in this modern world. Many believers may feel sad and lonely by this reason.But our portion is from God,Who comfort us always in prayers.

    Sanae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly admire your faith, Sanae. Keeping yourself a Spirit-filled, mission-minded Christian in Japan is not easy. (I know its atmosphere and that's why I am impressed by your strong and active faith all the more.)Thank you for your comment and your research regarding the situation of Bible-believing Christians in Europe.

    I want to pray with you for Tessa, Kegan and Irina tonight. May He give consolation and strength to our dear sisters. We also pray for the recovery of Brian, a husband of our sister Ruthie. May He provide all the necessary things to the household of Jessica who is seeking His Kingdom and His righteousness first.

    And we pray for our French believers. Lord, protect them from dangers and discouragement. We pray for our readers who are in distress. Lord, show them clearly how much You love them and care for them. Would you please send Your tools to help them and comfort them? We pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning! I haven't had a chance to read more about psalms singing, maybe you already shared this one? https://youtu.be/67wC6-kWWSo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Maribeth, good morning! Thank you for sharing this VTR. Now I listened and it was beautiful. If you know more, please share with us! Have a blessed Sunday. from Kinuko

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Kinuko,
    Thankyou so much for your prayer in one of the comments above. I appreciate you as I know many, many of the sisters do, more than you'll ever realize.
    This beautiful psalter reminds me of a message I recently heard on having joy in the Christian life. The speaker said that every time joy is mentioned in the Bible, it's always associated with some kind of suffering. I think of Christ in Hebrews 12:2, 'Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising the shame and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.' Joy midst the suffering. Psalms 30:5b says 'weeping may endure for the night, but joy cometh in the morning.' I think that the joy we have in Christ is not the everything is happy and wonderful kind of joy. (We never have any problems. We never have any cares. My life is just perfect.) No. True Joy is the strength that God gives us through our suffering, so that we can say when we have come through our trial, God has been with me, faithfully. I can more fully appreciate the joy that He's blessed me with because of my suffering, not in spite of it. Ultimately, our joy in the midst of suffering is to glorify God. love, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Ruthie,

    Hello, dear. I was so touched by your message.
    <True Joy is the strength that God gives us through our suffering, so that we can say when we have come through our trial, God has been with me, faithfully. I can more fully appreciate the joy that He's blessed me with because of my suffering, not in spite of it. Ultimately, our joy in the midst of suffering is to glorify God.

    I hope other readers will be encouraged by reading your comment. Sanae told me that she was so impressed by your comment (testimony) which you wrote on Jessica's recent post.
    So, I am going to read it as soon as possible! p.s. Please send my best regards to Brian. Kinuko

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recently I wrote down the lylics of this psalmody to introduce it to my church friends.I tried to find its Japanese version,but still do'nt find.Very beautiful song even it has expression of sorrow.

    We sung this song together in English.This melody is impressive,but so plain that I could play it by piano for singing.

    Thank you for letting us know this!

    Sanae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sanae,
      Now I listened to this psalmody again and tears rolled down on my cheeks. Yes, it is indeed beautiful song. I might try to translate this lyrics into Japanese. If I could, then, I will let you know! Kinuko

      Delete