Do you want to read this site in other languages?

Monday, January 4, 2016

Meditating on the Cross of Christ in solitude and prayer

 

 
 
Am I a stone, and not a sheep,
That I can stand, O Christ, beneath thy cross,
To number drop by drop Thy Blood's slow loss,
And yet not weep?

Not so those women loved
Who with exceeding grief lamented Thee;
Not so fallen Peter weeping bitterly;
Not so the thief was moved;

Not so the Sun and Moon
Which hid their faces in a starless sky,
A horror of great darkness at broad noon--
I, only I.

Yet give not o'er,
But seek Thy sheep, true Shepherd of the flock;
Greater than Moses, turn and look once more
And smite a rock.
 
 
-Christina G.Rossetti
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. This has really made me reflect on what the Lord did for me on the cross, Kinuko. Is my heart tender toward the Lord's sacrifice like the women, Peter, and the thief were? Or is it like a stone that has become callous and indifferent? May I never take the Lord's death flippantly, always being mindful of my salvation through His shed blood. Thank you, dearest Kinuko, for sharing this.
    -Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ruthie,
    Thank you so much for your sincere sharing. When I first read this poem, it pierced my heart like an arrow, for I painfully realized my stone-like heart toward Him Crucified.I can have abundant theological knowledge, but if this knowledge does not help me to be crushed in front of the Cross, what is the use of it? What is the use of theological or doctrinal "orthodoxy", if it does not help me to be crucified to the world (Gal 6:14)? After reading your thoughtful comment, I decided to translate this poem into Japanese as well. Thank you so much for your insight. Kinuko

    ReplyDelete