Do you want to read this site in other languages?

Thursday, February 11, 2016

One thing needful

 
 
To learn, and yet to learn, whilst life goes by,
So pass the student's days;
 
And thus be great, and do great things, and die,
And lie embalmed with praise.
 
My work is but to lose and to forget,
Thus small, despised to be;
 
All to unlearn,, this task before me set;
Unlearn all else but Thee.
 
 
 
 
Phil.3:7
-Gerhard Tersteegen, The Task



Prayer
O Jesus, you said "One thing is needful and Mary hath chosen that good part (Luke 10:42a)." And Mary was sitting at Thy feet and hearing Thy word wholeheartedly.

You have walked the way of disgrace, poverty and humility. And the servant is not greater than his lord. So, Lord, make us even smaller. Help us to pass through the narrow gate and to live a life pouring our whole beings into this one thing needful. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. We try to learn to know many things for ourselves,thinking it is a good way.Yes,it maybe right. But sometimes we are required to unlearn needless things to become closer with God,I think. I knew this after I had faith in Jesus.
    Faith is relationship between us and God.Thank you for sharing this profound poem.

    Sanae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sanae, thank you for your thoughtful response. Yes, I totally agree with you. To "unlearn" things which we have learned in the unbelieving world is as necessary as we learn things of God.

    It also reminds me of the Paul's confession;

    "Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ and be found in Him."
    Phil.3:8,9a

    And the beautiful and earnest confession of David;

    "One thing have I desired of the LORD,and will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple." Psalm 27:4

    May we dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of our lives and to behold His beauty! Amen. Kinuko

    ReplyDelete