Do you want to read this site in other languages?

Monday, March 28, 2016

O Lord, make us Thy fuel, flame of God!



 
It has always happened hitherto that whenever I have begun to feel an attachment to places, persons, or things, of a merely temporary nature, I have been carried away from them. Amen! May I live as a stranger and pilgrim upon the earth. May we be brought to that better country where painful changes are known no more.

Henry Martyn (1781-1812), a missionary to India and Persia

Dear readers, thank you so much for visiting my blog. I'd like to inform you that I will leave for mission work outside of Greece and I'll be back to you around mid-May.

Before leaving, I'd like to leave an encouraging message to my young Christian readers who have zeal for world mission.

We are daily bombarded with all kinds of fearful news through the world media. Satan then arouses fear in us and whispers to us like this; The land there, is a land that devours its inhabitants, and all the people there are of great height. Compared to them, you are like grasshoppers indeed (cf. Num 13:32,33). Stricken by fright, we start to step back and say; “We are not able to go up against the people, for they are stronger than we are.”(Num 13:31)

Thus the people became all panic. But then one man stood up and declared the following word of faith.

“Let us go up at once and occupy it, for we are well able to overcome it.” (Num 13:30)

Notice that he used the word "at once." He did not say something like "Well, let's see the situation for a while, pray more, and then we'll decide whether we go or not." He did not shrink back because he firmly believed His promise and was full of faith, which is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen (Heb 11:1).

 
-If God has work for me to do, I cannot die.
-I see no business in life but the work of Christ.
-Now let me burn out for God.
 
Henry Martyn

 
Prayer
O Lord, make us Thy fuel, flame of God! Come as the fire, and purge our hearts with sacrificial flame. O let our whole soul an offering be to our Redeemer's Name. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kinuko! These words blessed me today, especially the Henry Martyn quotes. I need to read more about his life. "No business in life but the work of Christ" (in and through us).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maribeth, I am so happy that these quotes inspired you as they did to me.

      Here are some other quotes of Henry Martyn;

      "The spirit of Christ is the spirit of missions. The nearer we get to Him, the more intensely missionary we become."

      "I am born for God only. Christ is nearer to me than father, or mother, or sister - a near relation, a more affectionate Friend; and I rejoice to follow Him, and to love Him. Blessed Jesus! Thou art all I want - a forerunner to me in all I ever shall go through as a Christian, a minister, or a missionary. ..."

      "Even if I should never see a native converted, God may design by my patience and continuance in the Word to encourage future missionaries. "

      He translated the Bible into Persian (from original Greek and Hebrew) and it is still used in Farsi-speaking churches around the world today!! Actually, this translation (besides 2 other modern literal Persian translations) is the most literal and faithful one. In order to accomplish this task, he had to suffer tremendously and he died young in the field. (He had to say good-bye to his dear fiancee because she did not want to go to mission field with him.) I am grateful that there existed such a devoted servant of God and we can learn many things from these believers. Kinuko

      Delete
  2. Yesterday I heard that in Pakistan,on 27th Easter sunday,70 christians were killed by suicide bombing.There are confusion, and attacking to christianity in many ways are there now in this world.But also we know that now many people including muslims meet Jesus in amazing ways,there are still many christians who love God sincerely left in churches.Many of them are keeping to plant Gospel seeds to people who asking God and truth.

    Kinuko,may God keep you always in His hand,and may He bless our brethren in suffering through you and your husband on your mission trip.Take care.

    Sanae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sanae,

      Good morning, thank you for your comment. Your message reminded me of the verses in 1 Peter 4:12-19 where Peter (during the time of severe persecution in early church) wrote about the "Suffering as a Christian."

      Suffering as a Christian (1 Peter 4:12,13)

      12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed."

      What impressed me most was that he encourages us to "rejoice" because "you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed." I also noticed that Peter said it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God. (v.17a)

      Sanae, let us pray with one heart that His washes the household of God with His Spirit so that His glory will be manifested on this earth and that more and more souls will be drawn to His church

      "11 Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, 12 waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! 13 But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth gin which righteousness dwells." (2 Peter 3:11-13)

      Delete