Do you want to read this site in other languages?

Sunday, April 23, 2017

So be it, Lord; Thy throne shall stand and rule and grow forever!


Related image

1. The day thou gavest, Lord, is ended,
The darkness falls at Thy behest;
To Thee our morning hymns ascended,
Thy praise shall hallow now our rest.

2. We thank Thee that Thy Church unsleeping,
While earth rolls onward into light,
Through all the world her watch is keeping,
And rests not now by day or night.

3. As o'er each continent and island
The dawn leads on another day,
The voice of prayer is never silent,
Nor dies the strain of praise away.

4. The sun, that bids us rest, is waking
Our brethren 'neath the western sky,
And hour by hour fresh lips are making
Thy wondrous doings heard on high.

5. So be it, Lord; Thy throne shall never,
Like earth's proud empires, pass away:
But stand, and rule, and grow for ever,
Till all Thy creatures own Thy sway.

Amen.


Image result for John Ellerton
by John Ellerton (1826-1893)


4 comments:

  1. Moving lylic with so beautiful melody! I heard this song for the first time today.Then I noticed that one of my Japanese Hymnal books contains this song translated into Japanese.(讃美歌43番・みかみのたまいし ).

    I'll try to sing this song and think of sharing this beautiful song of prayer with my church friend.I love to know original lylic of foreign hymns.Thank you for introducing this hymn,Kinuko!

    Sanae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sanae,
      Oh, thank you, thank you! Actually, I had been looking for the Japanese translation in the Hymnal Book which you gave me but somehow I could not find it. So, I was so excited to learn that we have this hymn in Japanese!! Now I opened Sanbika 43 and found it! Thank you so much, Sanae. In Christ, Kinuko

      Delete
  2. Hello Kinuko,

    I found your blog from the Head Covering Movement website. Thank you for the encouraging blog posts! This is a hymn that I am familiar with too. It is beautiful.
    Keep looking up!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Elizabeth,
      Wow, thank you for your visit! It is so nice to have known you. I've just visited your lovely blog, too. It is full of love and passion for Christ and I see that you are truly caring for the world mission. May God bless you and your family, Elizabeth! Kinuko

      Delete