Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Solitary time with God with celestial hymns

There is a power in celestial hymns. These hymns lift up our souls and fill our hearts with heavenly anticipation. Apostle John explains that the celestial city does not need light of the sun or the moon because the glory of God illuminates it and the Lamb is its light (Rev.21:23). And He shall reign forever and ever (Rev.22:5 b).

Today I’d like to share with you about my favorite hymns CD. The name of the CD is Hymns of the Church, selections for congregations volume I (Oasis Chorale, 2014). This hymns CD has been my devotion company and my comfort. 

Left: Hymnal book. Right: hymns CD


It contains 17 beautiful hymns such as Come Hither, All Ye Weary Souls (Isaac Watts), O Christ, Our Lord, With Teaching True (Michael Sattler, 1527), Who Is On The Lord’s Side? (Frances R. Havergal, 1877), The Sands Of Time Are Sinking (Annie R.Cousin, 1857) etc.

Inside the CD jacket, we will find the following words of William Temple;

To worship is to quicken
the conscience by the holiness of God,
to feed the mind with the truth of God,
to purge the imagination by the beauty of God,
to open the heart to the love of God,
and to devote the will to the purpose of God.”

Wow, isn’t it beautiful? Together with David, I’d like to confess to Him“One thing I have desired of the LORD, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD, all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple (Ps 27:4).”

When I see and hear of the current turmoils and wars, with prayerful heart, I sing the hymn ♪Father Eternal, Ruler of Creation (Laurence Houseman, 1919) which is recorded in this CD. I will write down the first two stanzas of this hymn.

“Father eternal, ruler of creations,
Spirit of life, which moved ere form was made;
Through the thick darkness covering every nation,
Light to man’s blindness, O be Thou our aid:
Thy Kingdom come, O Lord, Thy will be done.

“Races and peoples, lo! We stand divided,
And sharing not our griefs, no joy can share;
By wars and tumults love is mocked, derided,
His conquering cross no kingdom wills to bear:
Thy Kingdom come, O Lord, Thy will be done.”