Thursday, March 12, 2015

A word of gratitude and encouragement for my fellow Indian head-covering sisters


As an Asian head-covering sister (1 Cor 11), I have longed to have fellowship with other Asian sisters as well. But where can I find them? And how?

So Sanae (my fellow covering sister in Japan)  and other sisters including me have been praying over this issue, asking the Lord to open the gate to find such sisters.

And then the Lord actually heard our prayers today! We could find sisters in Bangalore, India who are keeping the head-covering practice in their church.

Bangalore, India source

When I read the kind response from Brother Zac Poonen, a leader of Christian Fellowship Church, Bangalore (here), the tears rolled down and I could not stop praising God for His wonderful arrangement.

For I have read from several sources that though Indian churches have faithfully preserved the head-covering command for nearly 2000 years (1 Cor 11), some sisters started to abandon this practice due to the influence of feminism and the westernized churches.

So I wanted to encourage our Indian sisters all the more. I wanted to testify to them that the practice which they have kept until today is not cultural thing but it is an universal, trans-cultural and unchanging command of God. I wanted to tell them to stay firm in their convictions and not to be shaken by secular and evangelical feminism and its influence.

Now let me share with you why I feel a special attachment to Indian Christians. Before conversion, I was studying in the Philippians for a short period (1998). There I met one Indian Christian from Tamilnadu and I was deeply touched by her noble and beautiful character. Her life reflected something radiant and holy, which I had never seen in my life. Thus I was drawn to her and to the One whom she worshiped,Jesus Christ.

After conversion which occurred several years later, I called her and announced her that I became a Christian. Then she told me the following words; “I am so happy, Kinuko! Congratulations! Actually, when we were in the Philippians, some Christian students had been gathering in one dorm room and interceding for your salvation every morning.” Upon hearing this, I lost my words.

She and her family have shown amazing love to me and I owe to them so much. I miss her sweet milk-tea which she used to make for me every morning when I was in her house in India. I miss the beautiful sound of Tamil language as well.

If I would be able to encourage my fellow Indian sisters on the head-covering issue, I’d like to honor Him and also honor my Indian sister’s family who has played a great role on my salvation.


Lastly, I’d like to introduce you the wonderful articles on head-covering written by Brother Zac Poonen and his son (an elder in the US church). I’ll also attach Sister Annie’s message (True Freedom Through Submission) for Christian ladies.

Head covering article by Brother Zac Poonen here
Head covering article by Brother Sandeep Poonen here

*Brother Sandeep Poonen leads a new church in America where all the sisters veil their heads. When he first preached this message, half of the sisters left his church along with their husbands. But he was not discouraged. So God honored him (after having tested him in this way) by giving him a very blessed church today. His church website is here

(Sister Annie in Bangalore is delivering the message on the glory of submission for her fellow Indian sisters: English language with Tamil translation.)

ಒಬ್ಬನೇ ಸತ್ಯದೇವರಾಗಿರುವ ನಿನ್ನನ್ನೂ ನೀನು ಕಳುಹಿಸಿಕೊಟ್ಟ ಯೇಸು ಕ್ರಿಸ್ತನನ್ನೂ ಅವರು ಅರಿತು ಕೊಳ್ಳುವದೇ ನಿತ್ಯಜೀವ. (Kannada language, India, John 17:3)