Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Farewell, friends and earthly comforts!: words of David Brainerd (1718-1747)


For to me, to live is Christ,, Phil.1:21
 
from the Diary of David Brainerd
 
22 May, 1746

But now these thoughts seem to be wholly dashed to pieces; not by necessity, but of choice: for it appeared to me, that God's dealings towards me had fitted me for a life of solitariness and hardship; and that I had nothing to lose, nothing to do with earth, and consequently nothing to lose by a total renunciation of it.


It appeared to me just right, that I should be destitute of house and home, and many comforts of life, which I rejoiced to see others of God's people enjoy.
 
And at the same time, I saw so much of the excellency of Christ's kingdom, and the infinite desirableness of its advancement in the world, that it swallowed up all my other thoughts; and made me willing, yea, even rejoice, to be made a pilgrim or hermit in the wilderness, to my dying moment, if I might thereby promote the blessed interest of the great Redeemer.

And if ever my soul presented itself to God for his service, without any reserve of any kind, it did so now. The language of my thoughts an disposition now was, `Here I am, Lord, send me; send me to the ends of the earth; send me to the rough, the savage pagans of the wilderness; send me from all that is called comfort in earth, or earthly comfort; send me even to death itself, if it be but in thy service, and to promote thy kingdom.'
 
 

 ,,and sure I am, that although the comfortable accommodations of life appeared valuable and dear to me, yet I did surrender and resign myself, soul and body, to the service of God, and promotion of Christ's kingdom: though it should be in the loss of them all.

And I could not do any other, because I could not will or choose any other. I was constrained, and yet chose, to say,

`Farewell, friends and earthly comforts, the dearest of them all, the very dearest, if the Lord calls for it; adieu, adieu; I will spend my life, to my latest moments, in caves and dens of the earth, if the kingdom of Christ may thereby be advanced.' I found extraordinary freedom at this time in pouring out my soul to God, for his cause;
 
 
Prayer:
Lord, let me burn out for Thee and Thy Kingdom! In Jesus' name. Amen.