Sunday, January 17, 2016

Poem of an unknown soldier: My eyes have opened to the Light


The following poem was found on the body of an unknown soldier killed in one of the fiercest battles during World War II.
 
 
 
 
Listen, God… for never in my life before
Have I spoken with You, but today
I want to greet You. As You know,
From childhood I was always told
That You do not exist…
And I so stupidly believed it.


I never gazed at your creations, but tonight
I looked out from a crater dug by a grenade
At the starry sky above me; and I understood
Quite suddenly, while marveling at the lights,
How cruel a lie can be.


I don’t know, God, if You will stretch Your hand to me?
But I will tell You and You’ll understand –
Is it not marvelous that amid this fiery hell
I’ve suddenly seen the light of knowing You?


That’s all I have to say. Just one more thing…
I’m glad that I have come to know You.
At midnight we are set for an attack,
Yet I’m not scared: You’re looking down upon us.


The signal… Well, I must be off…
How wonderful to talk to You… And I just want to add
That, as You know, the battle will be fierce,
And so perhaps this very night
I will come knocking on Your door.


And though I have not been Your friend before,
Will you allow me to come in?…
But I am crying... O my God… You see,
My eyes have opened to the light.


Farewell, my God… I’m off… and hardly will return.
How strange… but death now holds no fear for me at all.
 
 
Poem of a soldier, source
 
 
As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness. Psalm 17:15
 
And he (one of the malefactors who was hanged on the cross) said unto Jesus, "Lord, remember me when comest into Thy Kingdom." And Jesus said unto him, "Verily I say unto thee, today shalt thou be with me in paradise." Luke 23:42-43
 
Dear friend, come to Jesus! come to Jesus! In Him, there is life, in Him, there is light of hope and in Him, there is eternal life. Today is your day of salvation.