Sunday, February 14, 2016

Daily experiencing the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ in the midst of our inner turmoil and battles


For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection. Romans 6:5

Several months ago, my dear friend Sanae introduced me one simple but profound hymn called Chistos Anesti (Christ is risen), which is sung in Koine Greek. She is so familiar with various hymns in all over the world and I am grateful for her insightful words and encouragement.

As I was listening and meditating on the lyrics of this hymn prayerfully and reverently, He started to implant the deep truth of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ into my soul. I realized that this hymn is not just for Easter but for every day Christian life, because the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ can be experienced in us daily (especially when we are in trials and difficulties.)

When I feel I cannot obey my husband or an ugly, judgmental spirit tries to intrude upon my mind, --yes, in the very midst of these daily inner battles and emotional turmoil--, I try to withdraw myself on the spot, (and if it is possible) close my eyes for a while, and sing this simple hymn in my heart slowly and very prayerfully. Then, I truly experience the annihilation of my ugly self with the death of Christ and His resurrection power upon my dark spiritual tomb.
 
"That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection." Phil.3:10a
 
"Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light." Eph.5:14
 
Christ is risen indeed in me and gives His vital life to me, a poor sinner. Now I am going to introduce you this hymn and I will attach translations, too. This is my sincere prayer that we all experience the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ even at this very moment.
 
 
 

Χριστς νέστη κ νεκρν,
θανάτ θάνατον πατήσας,
κα τος ν τος μνήμασι,
ζων χαρισάμενος!
 
(transliteration)
Christós anésti ek nekrón,
thanáto thánaton patísas,
ké tís en tís mnímasi,
zoín charisámenos!
 
(English translation)
Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!
 
(church slavonic)
Хрїстосъ воскресе изъ мертвыхъ,
Смертїю на смерть настѹпи,
И грѡбным животъ дарова!
 
(French)
Le Christ est ressuscité des morts;
par la mort, il a vaincu la mort;
à ceux qui sont dans les tombeaux
il a donné la vie!
 
(German)
Christus ist auferstanden von den Toten
hat den Tod durch den Tod zertreten
und denen in den Gräbern das Leben geschenkt!
 
(Romanian)
Hristos a înviat din morţi,
Cu moartea pre moarte călcând,
Şi celor din morminte,
Viaţă dăruindu-le!
 
(Russian)
Христос воскрес из мёртвых,
смертью смерть попрал,
и существующим в гробах,
Жизнь даровал!
 
(Ukrainian)
Христос воскрес із мертвих,
смертю смерть подолав,
і тим, що в гробах,
життя дарував!