Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Are souls like flowers? If so, what flower are YOU??: a joyous feminine talk!




An Excerpt from Anne of Avonlea,


The girls left their baskets in Hester's garden and spent the rest of the afternoon rambling in the woods and fields surrounding it, discovering many pretty nooks and lanes.

"Look do you see that poem?" she said suddenly, pointing.

We have hundreds more books for your enjoyment. Read them all!

"Where?" Jane and Diana stared, as if expecting to see Runic rhymes on the birch trees.

"There. . .down in the brook. . .that old green, mossy log with the water flowing over it in those smooth ripples that look as if they'd been combed, and that single shaft of sunshine falling right athwart it, far down into the pool. Oh, it's the most beautiful poem I ever saw."

"I should rather call it a picture," said Jane. "A poem is lines and verses."

"Oh dear me, no." Anne shook her head with its fluffy wild cherry coronal positively. "The lines and verses are only the outward garments of the poem and are no more really it than your ruffles and flounces are YOU, Jane. The real poem is the soul within them . . .and that beautiful bit is the soul of an unwritten poem. It is not every day one sees a soul. . .even of a poem."




"I wonder what a soul. . .a person's soul. . .would look like," said Priscilla dreamily.

"Like that, I should think," answered Anne, pointing to a radiance of sifted sunlight streaming through a birch tree. "Only with shape and features of course. I like to fancy souls as being made of light. And some are all shot through with rosy stains and quivers. . .and some have a soft glitter like moonlight on the sea. . .and some are pale and transparent like mist at dawn."

"I read somewhere once that souls were like flowers," said Priscilla.

"Then your soul is a golden narcissus," said Anne, "and Diana's is like a red, red rose. Jane's is an apple blossom, pink and wholesome and sweet."

"And your own is a white violet, with purple streaks in its heart," finished Priscilla.


-Anne of Avonlea, A golden picnic

------

Are souls like flowers as Priscilla said? If so, I wonder what flower YOU are, my lovely feminine sister? Last night, I went to my husband and asked him what he thought I was as a flower. Pondering a little while, he then replied to me that to him, I am a little, white jasmine flower. And I was just thrilled to hear that, for I've always adored the name Jasmine and wished my middle name would be so!!

Then I thought of my dear sisters. What are they? Now I am going to share my impression of you, one by one. Well, to me, Caroline is a light blue violet. Ruthie is a light purple and warmly-moisty hydrangea. Jessica is a white, upright lilium longiflorum. Then Sanae is a light pink star lily (himeyuri) in a remote mountain. Irina is a delicate, purple hyacinth. Our Kegan is a bright sunflower! And Mélanie is a mystic purple wisteria.


So, dear sisters, what do you think? Do you like my impressions? You might want to ask your beloved ones around you (such as your family, friends) their "flower" impressions of you. Please do so, and tell me what they said about you:)