Monday, August 29, 2016

Christian Psalmody: Meditating and Singing the Psalm 29 in Deep Solitude and Prayer



"In solitude I get rid of my scaffolding: no friends to talk with, no telephone calls to make, no meetings to attend, no music to entertain, no books to distract, just me – naked, vulnerable, weak, sinful, deprived, broken – nothing.  It is this nothingness that I have to face in my solitude, a nothingness so dreadful that everything in me wants to run to my friends, my work, and my distractions so that I can forget my nothingness and make myself believe that I am worth something.

But that is not all. As soon as I decide to stay in my solitude, confusing ideas, disturbing images, wild fantasies, and weird associations jump about in my mind like monkeys in a banana tree. Anger and greed begin to show their ugly faces. I give long, hostile speeches to my enemies and dream lustful dreams in which I am wealthy, influential, and very attractive – or poor, ugly, and in need of immediate consolation. Thus I try again to run from the dark abyss of my nothingness and restore my false self in all its vainglory…

The wisdom of the desert is that the confrontation with our own frightening nothingness forces us to surrender ourselves totally and unconditionally to the Lord Jesus Christ." 

(Henry Nouwen, The Way of the Heart, p. 27-28).



Over the years, as I've developed my habit of daily devotion in Psalm mediation/singing, He started to open the new gate for me to commune and to listen to His voice in solitude.

Isn't it amazing that He speaks to our soul? Isn't it too wonderful to know that there actually is a voice of the Lord (קוֹל-יְהוָה kol Adonai/ φωνή Κυρίου, foni Kiriou) which is written all throughout the Bible.

Isn't it comforting to know that He speaks to us both in storms and in deep solitude? (Psalm 29:3-9, I Kings 19:12)


Today, I invite all of you to listen to the following Psalmody in Hebrew (Psalm 29, Havu la’adonai, Ascribe to the Lord) for worship and meditation. You might hear the sound Kol adonai many times, which means "the voice of the LORD." 

This is my prayer that as our soul listens to the Word of God in melody, He shall sit enthroned in our heart as King forever and that in His temple (which is the body of the believers), all of our beings say, "Glory" to our King of kings (v.9,10).





Ps.29: Mizmor l'David Havu Ladonai
מזמור לדוד הבו ליי

Mizmor l’david.

Havu la’adonai, benei elim,
havu la’adonai kavod va’oz.

Havu la’adonai kavod shemo, 
hishtachavu la’adonai be’hadrat kodesh.

Kol adonai al hamayim, el ha’kavod hirim, 
adonai al mayim rabim.

Kol adonai ba’koach, 
kol adonai be’hadar.
Kol adonai shover arazim 
va’yeshaber adonai et-arzei ha’levanon.

Va’yarkidem k’mo egel, 
levanon ve’sirion k’mo ven-re-emin.

Kol adonai chotzev la’havot esh.
Kol adonai yachil midbar,
yachil adonai midbar kadesh
Kol adonai yecholel ayalot.

Va’yechesof yearot, u’veheikhalo kulo omer kavod.
Adonai lamabul yashav,
va’yeshev adonai melekh l’olam.

Adonai oz le’amo yiten, 
adonai yevarekh et-amo va’shalom.


Psalm 29 
1 A Psalm of David. Ascribe unto the LORD, O ye sons of might, ascribe unto the LORD glory and strength.
2 Ascribe unto the LORD the glory due unto His name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
3 The voice of the LORD is upon the waters;
the God of glory thundereth, even the LORD upon many waters.
4 The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.
5 The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.
6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young wild-ox.
7 The voice of the LORD heweth out flames of fire.
8 The voice of the LORD shaketh the wildernes​​s; the LORD shaketh the wildernes​​s of Kadesh.
9 The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, and strippeth the forests bare;
and in His temple all say: 'Glory.'
10 The LORD sat enthroned at the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth as King for ever.
11 The LORD will give strength unto His people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.