Wednesday, September 28, 2016

How then shall we think of our "good" traditional cultures/virtues if these are derived from the non-biblical, pagan roots?




I have been thinking about the theme with which I dealt on my yesterday's post entitled: Oku (奥): Rediscovering The Depths And The Beauty Of Being In An Innermost Room [Biblical Womanhood And Modesty](here).

As a Bible-believing Japanese Christian who was born and brought up in a pagan culture, this particular theme as to the way how we should view our traditional culture, has been in my mind constantly and ceaselessly. I think I need your help, my dear readers!

My sincere question to you is this;


"Traditional womanhood may not always mean biblical ..." Yes, this is so right. Then, how should we think of our "good" traditional cultures/virtues such as female modesty, gracefulness, obedience, quietness, dedication, simplicity etc?

Should we reject them all together because, after all, these are derived from the non-biblical, pagan roots? Or could we adapt some and take them into our biblical womanhood? But,,,by doing so, does it cause some form of unhealthy "syncretism"?


I am looking forward to hearing from your response, my dear readers!


pictures from here and here.